5.21.2010

Our Menu

I discovered a few months back that I was so tired of Josh coming home and asking what's for dinner. I was tired of it taking an hour in a half to figure out what we were having for dinner. It became such a huge production in our house. It came to the point where we would just eat frozen pizzas because it was 8:00 before we could come to some sort of decision of what to eat and by that time I said screw it, I'm not cooking.

I decided one night that I would write a menu a week at a time and put it on the refrigerator. I told myself and Josh that it was set in stone. It would not change unless something last minute came up like an impromptu dinner and drinks with friends.

We have done fairly well with this menu. We have been at this for about 6 weeks now and not only has it cut down on the "what's for dinner" production, but I now go into the grocery store prepared with a list and a budget. I *try* to stick to that list and budget. I am a sell girl so if something is on a major sell, than I stock up. It's the smart thing to do. :)

I have also discovered that doing the menu, grocery list and budget has made us eat healthier. I have incorporated more fresh food such as broccoli and asparagus into the menus. I am also not cooking the same thing over and over and am getting more recipes and trying new things.

For instance, this is this week's menu:

Saturday: grilled hamburgers, fries, and pasta salad
Sunday: chicken cordon bleu, cream corn, asparagus and rolls
Monday: salsbury steaks, mashed potatoes and mushrooms
Tuesday: Fajitas
Wednesday: Campbell's Chicken*, steamed rice, steamed broccoli and pasta sides
Thursday: Spaghetti and garlic bread

*I don't know the technical name for this dish but it is pretty much chicken breasts, a couple different Campbell's soups and cheese. It is amazing and Josh was definitely surprised when I made it.

I have never been adventurous with food so I like to stick to basic meats and vegetables. As I get more comfortable in the kitchen, I am sure that I will be open to more adventurous food and recipes. Until then, I am keeping it simple. I am still learning to cook. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! I am going to try that! Maybe you can post the recipe to the Campbell's chicken? It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete